Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A sad day in my life...

This weekend was a sad day in my life. I found out that an old childhood friend was killed in a horrific highway accident last week. The police did not release the name until Saturday. She was trying to pull across the highway, and a semi truck hit her, ran over her car, and drug her 500 meters. She was killed almost instantly, but she was only 21. I drive past the accident site every day on my way home from work. I try not to notice the skid marks and dark stains on the highway, but it is like I cannot look away. I am struck by a deep and profound sadness, at how fragile life really is and how easily and quickly it is all over. I send out my love and heartfelt sorrow to her family in their time of need. I hope that they are not too devastated, and are able to continue living a day at a time. I also ask that everyone drive carefully and please look both ways before you cross any road. It is better to be Safe than Sorry. Thank you for everything!

Love,
Melanie

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Mennie *big huge freakin' hugs* That's awful... It's soo sad that something like that happened... I'm sooo lucky that I've never lost anyone in a car crash, or something like that... Remember that shooting in Edmonton, that girl who died?? Kyle knew her, was good friends with her brother in elementary school.. It's soo sad how these things happen... *another honking hug* I love you, Mennie!!

Anonymous said...

Mel which friend was it? I'm sorry to hear that! Love you darlin!!!!

Carol said...

Mel,

It's sad to lose a friend, especially one so young. We had a good friend of ours drown at a young age, and it takes while to get over it. My sympathies to you.

Mel said...

Thanks all...her name was Crystal Gardner...I knew her in Elementry...and kind of in Jr. High! and When ever I saw her around we would stop and talk...she was a nice girl...she was in my mom's brownie group too!

Anonymous said...

That name sound familar... I think I know her as well.

Unknown said...

That name sounds really familiar... Didn't she go to Memorial?? It's sucks that it always happens to nice people...

Carol said...

Robyn,

I think you have this Melanie confused with your sister Melanie. This Melanie is a friend of Carrie and Kyle's that she used to go to school with in Stony Plain. And odd enought, this Melanie has a sister Robin also. Small world.

Mel said...

Yes she went to Memorial...and Blueberry too! She was on the larger side...but the last time I saw her she had lost alot of it...she looked good!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had my yearbook because she sounds really familar. I think I know her... *out out demons of stupidity*